Gutter Installation Price And Process
Gutter Installation: Gutter replacement, which involves installing your own rain gutters can save you substantially over professionally installed gutters, but there are a few pitfalls to watch out for. Inspect the fascia and soffit (Fig. B) for signs of rotted wood, which will need to be replaced before you put up the rain gutters. Many houses have a trim board or crown molding nailed to the fascia just under the shingles. You’ll have to either remove this as we did or add a continuous strip of wood under it to create a flat plane for the gutters. In either case, prime and paint bare wood before you hang the gutters.
The main factor in determining whether to repair or replace your gutters will be extent of damage. If you only have one or two trouble spots, they should be easy to fix, but if multiple sections of your gutters are giving you problems or you have tried repairing a problem before and it keeps coming back, you should save yourself the headache and replace your gutters.
If you don’t feel comfortable making the call yourself, you can call out a reputable professional to look at your gutters and give you an assessment. Be warned, while companies that install new gutters often also make small repairs on existing gutters, you should expect to hear a sales pitch arguing that new gutters are the way to go.
Gutter Installation Cost
Most homeowners spend about $955 on gutter installations. However, smaller homes may cost about half as much, while larger properties can incur an additional $200 to $300 more than the average. Installing durable gutters (such as copper, steel or aluminum) often provides for durable structures that will incur lower maintenance costs.
Copper gutters typically cost $15 to $25 per foot, while aluminum costs $5 to $8 per foot and steel $8 to $10 per foot. Copper is typically of the highest quality (as the price shows), followed by steel and aluminum. For an affordable option, opt for vinyl gutters (they cost under $8 per foot).
In addition, be prepared to incur extra costs for downspout extensions as well as flashing and hangers. These may cost anywhere between $35 (for vinyl downspouts and flashing) and $110 (for aluminum or steel downspouts).
Rain Gutter Installation
Rain gutters and downspouts are designed to divert and carry rainwater away from the foundation of your house, which helps maintain the integrity of its construction. They prevent soil erosion, damage to siding, and basement leaks. With a bit of effort and the right tools, you can install your gutters without hiring a contractor.
- Secure the end cap to the gutter with a crimping tool.
- Use a hacksaw and tin snips to cut the gutter to length.
- Use a hammer and a cold chisel (or a hole saw) to cut a round hole in the gutter for a downspout outlet.
- Apply gutter sealant to the flange of the downspout outlet, then screw the outlet to the hole in the gutter.
- Temporarily screw the gutter to the fascia, positioning it about 2 inches below the chalk line.
- Install hanging brackets onto the gutter, positioning one in front of each rafter.
- Raise the gutter to the chalk line and fasten each hanging bracket by screwing through the fascia and into the rafter tail.
- Set two 2-inch-thick concrete pavers on the ground directly below the downspout outlet.
- Set a rain barrel on top of the concrete pavers.
- Use a hacksaw to cut and assemble the downspout and elbows.
- Screw the upper end of the downspout to the downspout outlet protruding from the gutter.
- Fasten the downspout to the house with mounting straps.
- Install a diverter in the downspout, positioning it even with the top of the rain barrel.
- Attach a short length of downspout to the underside of the diverter.
- Connect the diverter’s flexible hose to the port on the side of the rain barrel.
Gutter Guard Installation
It’s the changing of the leaves, the shifting of seasons, and the change from shorts to sweaters. Autumn in Elkhart, IN is the time when we start to ponder coming holidays, family time and the much anticipated winterizing of a home. When it comes to home maintenance there can be a multitude of things to consider, from a furnace to fascia a homeowner wants to be sure they have a solid home under them for the winter months.
- Plastic PVC screen gutter guards: ($.20-$.40/ft.) These are the cheapest in quality, not just in price. They’re produced in rolls of flexible plastic with width options of 5” to 7” and ranging in length from 15’ to 30’. They can be cut to length with a utility knife or similar tool.
- Perforated aluminum covers: These guards are lengths of aluminum 4’ to 8’ that has been punched to produce perforations. Most is bare aluminum. Some types are installed with fasteners to the fascia; Others are bent in front and back to snug into the gutter.
- Steel screen gutter guards: ($1.50-$3.00/ft.) These cost quite a lot more than the plastic type, but their performance is the same and they are more durable.
How Much Does It Cost To Install Gutters?
The average cost to install galvanized or aluminum gutters is approximately $4 to $9 per linear foot. There are also vinyl gutters which are much easier to install, and which run at roughly $3 to $5 per linear foot. Therefore, installing from 125 to 200 feet of gutters will cost $1050-$2400.
What Does Home Depot Charge To Install Gutters?
Vinyl gutters cost about $3 to $5 per linear foot. Metal gutters range in price: aluminum costs $6 to $12, steel $9 to $20, and copper $25 to $40 or more. Installing gutters for an entire home can cost anywhere between $600 and $2,400. The national average is between $850 and $1,000 for approximately 200 feet.
How Much Should I Pay For Seamless Gutters?
A typical residential installation is of 140 feet of seamless aluminum gutter with four downspouts and four corners. It will typically cost around $5.88 per foot to be professionally supplied and installed. The seamless gutter material requires special equipment and so is limited to a professional installation.
Does Lowes Do Gutter Installation?
Gutter Install. Safeguard and improve the look of your home with high quality gutters. Have Lowe’s professionals install it by calling 1-800-GO-LOWES.