Remodeling your bathroom is a great way to make your home feel more luxurious, and for most homeowners, it presents an ideal opportunity to add a personal touch to their surroundings. It can seem like a scary undertaking, with lots of decisions to make, and you might find yourself worried about forgetting a crucial part of the renovation.
So, before you rush to call the contractor, take your time to plan your steps and go through our recommendations:
1. Hiring the right contractor
Finding the ideal contractor for the job isn’t going to be easy, but it’s arguably the most important step. Take your time to talk to at least a few different contractors and get a feel for who understands your wishes best. Try to find contractors in various price ranges, the most expensive isn’t always the best. It’s a good idea to ask friends or family as a personal recommendation is unparalleled. Above all, healthy communication with your contractor is crucial. Make sure that you are on the same page to avoid any unnecessary headaches caused by misunderstandings.
2. Stay within your budget
Most people tend to underestimate how much a renovation will cost. It’s very easy to get lost in all the options on the market and forget about the total price. The best thing you can do before making any purchases is to set a budget you find acceptable and make sure not to go over it. Choose areas where you want to splurge and spend a bit more and some areas where you want to cut corners.
3. Measure first
Make sure you know the exact dimensions of your bathroom and the elements you plan on buying. You don’t want to be in a situation where your bathroom is too cramped, or you have to return the items you purchased. Sometimes, less is more and, adding too much to your bathroom will make it less roomy and comfortable. Furthermore, you should pay attention to the height of your elements, such as the sink or mirror. Be sure to choose the height that works best for you or your family.
4. Wiring and plumbing
This is the ideal opportunity to get any necessary work done on your plumbing and wiring. If you’ve encountered any issues, now is the time to correct them. Chances are, the plumbing in your home is old, and it might be time for an upgrade.
5. Light and bright
The absolute best way to make your bathroom look clean and spacious is to brighten it up. After all, you don’t want your new bathroom sitting in the dark. Go for white and other bright colored reflective surfaces to get the most out of your lighting. Adding a window if you don’t have one is another great idea to bring in some natural light. Installing proper lighting will also make you look better in front of the mirror, which is a big plus.
6. Don’t forget about the storage
Something you might easily overlook is the importance of storage in your bathroom. Having room to store everything you use right there where you need it is a necessary luxury. You can use the additional space to store extra toiletries or anything your guests might need, such as extra towels. And with everything organized neatly, your bathroom will look much classier.
7. Go all out on the vanity
The bathroom vanity is one of the best options for going all out and making a statement. You can go big here and find the right vanity that not only looks incredible but also offers functionality. It also presents an opportunity to invest in high-end materials to give your bathroom a luxurious touch for a small price.
8. Treat yourself
If you’re looking to go above and beyond with designing your new bathroom, here are some recommendations for the finest luxuries you can treat yourself with:
- Smart showers: A great way to improve your showering experience with the latest technology. It’s not the cheapest option on this list, but the features it offers are hard to resist. It allows you to adjust water temperature precisely, water flow or, even play music!
- Heated floors: An easy-to-install upgrade that adds to the coziness of your bathroom. They dry faster and also do a great job at heating the entire room. The cost will depend on the size of your bathroom, so it’s worth considering if you have a small one.
- Showerhead filter: One of the best ways to treat yourself for a low price, even the best shower filter won’t set you back much. Shower filters are important for proper hair and skincare as they protect you from chlorine and other harmful contaminants found in water. They either replace your entire showerhead, or you attach them to your current one. It’s important to note that some filters will lower the height of your showerhead, so keep that in mind.
In conclusion, using the advice in this post you should be able to approach the intimidating task of a bathroom remodeling differently. As long as you follow our guide and carefully plan each step, there’s nothing to worry about. And at the end of it, you’re left with a feeling of pride for taking that first step towards making your dream home a reality.