There are times when you want to relax after a hard and long day. You may find yourself sitting out in the backyard or swinging on a porch swing. But when it comes to relaxing, nothing entirely beats a steam shower. Most homes do not have a steam shower on location. But there is something that you can do to build your own steam room. If you are considering installing a steam room, here are some things that you will want to know to make the process easy to finish.
How You Can Install Your Steam Shower
Building a steam shower will take some work, but it can be done with a bit of effort. These steps will guide you through the process from start to finish.
- Find a place to install a steam generator. The location should be near a power supply that can generate 240 volts. It will also need its breakers and GFCI protection. The generator should be relatively close to the shower. It should also be placed in a location that is easy to access if it needs to be worked on.
- Place the steam head about 12 inches from the floor. Please keep it away from the shower door but near the seating arrangement.
- The size of your steam shower will depend on the size of the shower you are trying to install it around. The location should not be near a window to prevent the steam and heat from escaping the enclosure.
- Make provisions for a shelf to hold items you will need in the steam shower. You will need to frame out the location and insulate it. You may also want to insulate the ceiling to help retain the heat.
- Depending on the material you used for the walls, you will need to seal up the seams between all pieces. It is also advisable to install a moisture barrier between the outer walls and the inside of the shower.
- The floor should be cement and have a drain. The floor should slope towards the drain to allow the water to flow out of the shower area.
- The bench should be placed along the wall and be built at a comfortable level for you to sit.
Building a steam shower will take some work, but when completed, it will give you a place to drain the stress away as you sit and relax. It is advisable to follow the instructions and make sure to ask for help when it is needed.